How points are calculatedin various Divisions per AKC.
By Jacqueline S. Zwirn
I know every year it seems thatthere are always questions as to exactly how AKC determines what they basetheir point schedules and calculations on.
I personally have gotten adifferent answer from every AKC representative and Delegate that I have asked;and I know I am not the only one who has experienced this. I spoke with Mr. Bobby Birdsong of AKC and hewas wonderful and explained how it was calculated and emailed me the following…
Divisions are normally agrouping of adjacent states that share the same schedule of points. However, California (because of the largenumber of shows,) HI, AK, and PR (because of their geographic isolation) arecomprise of a single state or territory.
The calculations only take intoaccount the number of dogs that actually competed (not those that were entered,but marked absent) during the previous year.
In each division, except AK, HI,and PR, the schedule is set according to the following formula, considering thedogs in regular class competition for the previous year.
· One point-95% of theshows where there was competition carry one or more points for dogs andbitches.
· Two Points-set at halfthe difference between the one and three point breaks.
· Three Points-As close aspossible to 18%, but should not exceed 20%, of the shows in a division are tocarry major points (3, 4, or 5) for both dogs and bitches. Majors created by Best of Winners, Best ofBreed and Best of Opposite are not counted in this calculation and are ineffect bonus majors over and above the 18%.
· Four Points-Set at 2/3 ofthe difference between the three and five point breaks.
· Five points-As close aspossible to 2% of the shows are to carry 5 points for both dogs and bitches.
Independent Parent Clubspecialties or Designated Parent Club specialties held in conjunction with anAll Breed are not counted. Also the events held in conjunction with the annualAKC Event are not counted in thesecalculations. Independent LocalSpecialties and Designated Local Specialties with All Breed shows are includedin the computations. Additionally, event held in conjunction with the AKCEukanuba National Championship Show (+ 3 days) are not included.
Becausethere are so few shows in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, we calculate theschedule of points per the above formula, and then adjust to assure a fair andequitable distribution of points that result in similar distribution as thedivisions within continental United States